Our client is an unusual and entrepreneurial boutique, focused on providing clients in the maritime sector with prompt and high quality legal advice that preserves commercial relationships. They place great importance on working closely with clients and understanding their business requirements, with the aim of resolving disputes expeditiously, avoiding unnecessary litigation and incurring undue costs.
The firm handles sometimes high-profile disputes related to groundings, cargo damage, collisions, ship detentions, charterparty, and bills of lading disputes. The firm’s wet shipping work is complemented by its active dry shipping practice, which encompasses both contentious and non-contentious matters. Partners are Marine specialists, experts in their field and rated in industry publications, and the firm rewards Associates with a generous salary, a flexible environment and has no targets as such, but pays bonus on reaching a very low billable hours threshold.
The firm is extremely busy and is looking to recruit Associates with a view to assisting them to progress their careers with the firm and move into the firm’s partnership themselves.
This is a superb and unusual opportunity for an Associate looking for a small firm and genuine career progression prospects. In order to be considered for this role, you will have:
- Training and ideally 1-3 years post qualification experience in shipping disputes work (candidates with high quality general commercial litigation experience and an understanding/affinity for the maritime sector will also be considered);
- A deep understanding of the maritime sector(s);
- A strong academic background, and the ability to think and work independently;
- Proven technical skills in contentious shipping-related matters;
- Strong legal, analytical and matter management and execution skills; and
- A proactive and confident approach with a high level of initiative.