Our client is a very high profile, award winning full service firm whose clients tend towards IP rich brands and businesses in the science, technology, entertainment, fashion, and manufacturing sectors. The firm is the “go-to” for companies with valuable intellectual property assets, and aids clients in their exploitation and protection.
The firm’s patent litigation team is consistently ranked in the top tier in all major directories, and the team members possess combined technical expertise covering all the major scientific and engineering disciplines, with an unrivalled depth and breadth of litigation experience.
A wide variety of technical areas are represented including life sciences, telecommunications, optics, automotive, aerospace, and oil & gas, and the team’s members usually have at least first degrees in a technical discipline. Several have PhD qualifications, meaning they are able to dig deeply into complex technology, understand it, and communicate it effectively through expert witness evidence to the Court. The team handles all types of patent disputes including infringement and validity cases, SPCs, employee compensation, and exhaustion of rights.
As well as defending their clients’ positions in the Patents Court in London, the team also acts regularly in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court and offers advocacy services in the patent office. They are also very experienced in coordinating international disputes (including arbitration), often also working in close collaboration with colleagues in complementary practice areas such as regulatory and competition law.
Due to an appreciable rise in instructions, they are now looking for a patent litigator with a specialism in either life sciences or technology.
In order to be considered for this role, you will probably have:
- Excellent academics (ideally all As at A-level or equivalent and a good 2:1 or better at a top tier university).
- Most likely 3-5 years’ post-qualification experience in patent litigation gained from a well-regarded patent disputes team.
- A solid knowledge of the patent law; and specific experience in either life sciences or technology patent litigation.
- Strong foundational legal skills, including drafting, negotiation and project management, people management and business development.
- Enthusiasm, motivation and commitment to building and maintaining strong client relationships.