Our client’s shipping practice is world leading, based in trading hubs around the globe and servicing their clients’ requirements in all time zones, all the time. The UK centre of their marine disputes practice is based in Surrey, and acts for the heart of the maritime industry: shipbuilders, owners, charterers, salvors, insurers, financiers, port authorities and government, and P&I clubs–and a wide range of clients across the broader trade commodities and energy sector.
The team recruiting specialises in cases involving major casualties, total loss of vessel and cargo, charterparty disputes, general average, marine insurance coverage and trading/commodity contract problems particularly concerning soft commodities (soybeans, rice and sugar). The also represent marine cargo owners and insurers in piracy cases.
The team is now looking for a Senior Associate (5+ PQE) disputes lawyer, ideally with experience of working with marine industry clients. You could be based in Surrey or their City office for this role.
In order to be considered for this role you will:
- Have a strong academic background, and be a bright “go-getter”;
- Be a technically strong and well-trained disputes lawyer, probably with 5+ years’ PQE;
- Be ambitious, self-motivated and hard-working;
- Have the ability to work as part of a team or as an individual contributor, and will be a strong communicator;
- Be able to lead, motivate, train and mentor more junior members of staff;
Specific marine insurance experience is not required but would be beneficial, as would some exposure to other related areas eg. commodities or political risk-disputes.