This is an exciting role for an experienced and dynamic professional interested in joining a renowned law firm as the Head of Business Acceptance in London. In this senior role, they will play a pivotal part in overseeing the Business Acceptance team and driving the continuous development of conflict of interest, Anti-Money Laundering, and sanctions policies and implement measures to make processes more efficient and drive technological development. As a key leader, they will ensure the firm’s adherence to legislative and regulatory frameworks concerning client onboarding and relationship maintenance.
- Providing comprehensive leadership for the BA team, encompassing recruitment, talent management, and performance reviews. Guide and train the team on intricate regulatory and commercial matters related to conflicts of interest, AML, and onboarding issues.
- Acting as the deputy Money Laundering Reporting Officer (DMLRO), supporting the MLCO and MLRO. Manage ongoing monitoring procedures, update firmwide AML, Countering the Financing of Terrorism (CTF), and sanctions risk assessments, conduct regular reviews of AML and CTF policies, controls, and procedures, and ensure independent audits. Review and approve high-risk clients/matters, including those involving Politically Exposed Persons (PEPs).
- Serving as the firm’s subject matter expert and escalation point for conflicts of interest. Assist the director of risk, managing partner, and senior partner in resolving commercial conflicts.
- Advising on the implementation of information barriers.
- Overseeing the BA training program, including anti-financial crime training through online courses and in-person sessions.
- Assisting the director of risk and MLCO with financial crime-related visits and investigations.
- Staying abreast of relevant guidance, best practices, and consultations, updating firm policies and procedures as necessary.
- Collaborating with the Compliance Officer for Finance and Administration (COFA) to ensure compliance with the SRA’s Solicitor Accounts Rules, particularly in managing third-party payment risks.
- Acting as an ambassador for the BA team, liaising with key stakeholders to understand both regulatory and commercial business needs.
- Collaborating with the firm’s IT department to manage relationships with technology resource suppliers and review online databases for client due diligence.
- Leading the development and updating of the firm’s business intake software.
- Conducting horizon scanning to identify potential process efficiencies and improvements in the business acceptance process, considering legal and regulatory changes.
The successful candidate will have:
- Senior-level experience in business acceptance/client matter inception roles within a law firm.
- Proven project leadership and the ability to resolve client matter inception-related issues with minimal supervision.
- In-depth knowledge of the legal and regulatory framework, including SRA standards and regulations, AML legislative regime, and applicable sanctions legislation.
- Exposure to NCA disclosures and ongoing management processes is preferred.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal, with stakeholders at all levels.
- Proactive engagement in horizon scanning to prepare for future regulatory/legislative changes, particularly in AFC compliance.
- Strong analytical and organisational skills.
- Encouragement of idea contributions to improve policies, processes, and the working environment.
- Personable, positive, and upbeat attitude.
- Demonstrated strong presentation skills and comfort presenting to internal and external audiences.
- Working knowledge of Intapp’s Open software, Microsoft Word, and Excel.