A rising Scottish firm have an opportunity to join their support team as a Financial Controller based in their Aberdeen office. The role reports to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and is responsible for the internal client management system, financial processes, controls and timely and accurate reporting of the company financial data. The position also does not require any accounting qualifications, should you have the relevant work experience to support the roles requirements.
This fast-paced role will cover all aspects including but not limited to:-
- Working closely with the COO to innovative initiatives around financial reporting, providing a best practice example to the wider finance team.
- Acting as a super user for Client Management System, Thompson Reuters 3E and be the main point of contact for the 3E System.
- Liaising with the Law Society of Scotland, ensuring compliance in ensuring all accounts and records are kept and stored adhering to the rules, and static balances are dealt with efficiently.
- Preparing internal information for Audit requests.
- Ensuring financial processes, systems and strong controls are operated effectively to manage the financial risk of the firm and related entities.
- Establishing new controls as required to identify discrepancies and prevent errors.
- Preparing accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports including year-end financial accounts, monthly management information, balance sheet and cash flow forecasts.
- Overseeing/reviewing and ensuring reconciliations are completed for the sales ledger, purchase ledger and ensuring all general ledger entries are correctly reflected in the finance system and monthly reporting.
- Working to identify key trends, and explain variances between actual and budgeted figures and variances from agreed Key Performance Indicators (KPls).
- Challenging financial results where required, to better understand the business’ performance to aid decision-making processes.
- Developing and maintaining a financial model for budgets and forecasts, establishing annual budgets based on key business drivers for service line.
- Liaising with internal and external stakeholders including HMRC, tax advisors, banks, partners, and senior management.
- Managing the cashroom team.
- Monitoring and managing cash flow, by tracking transactions and regularly reviewing internal reports.
- Handling VAT, Payroll, PAYE, and tax duties, including VAT return preparation and partnership tax adjustments.
- Project management of process changes and implementations.
- Experience in the operation of financial controls, month-end and balance sheet accounting.
- Experience of working in a controlled and deadline-driven environment.
- High level of commercial awareness, with an understanding and appreciation of business practices, approaches, organisation and culture.
- Experience in building budget and forecast models.
- Experience in operation of Payroll PAYE, VAT calculations and reporting.
- Project management.
- Excellent data analytical skills, and advanced level of Excel experience.
- Experience and ability to work under own initiative and keep management and stakeholders engaged and updated with progress.
- Experience as an accountant within the Legal sector.
- Knowledge of the Thomson Reuters 3E System.
- Member of a professional accountancy body (ICAS, ACCA, or equivalent qualification or relevant experience)
- Financial Controls
- Working knowledge of professional services’ firm, including regulatory rules regarding management of client funds
Interpersonal Skills & Qualities required:
- Proactive, self-starter with proven ability to problem solve
- Methodical, analytical, and decisive with good attention to detail
- Excellent communicator
This role is hybrid and based in Aberdeen, with a 1/2 days WFH and 3/4 days based in the office.
This is an exciting role, where every day will offer a variety of different challenges, and where you will also be rewarded for your success. The company is offering a great salary and a very competitive benefits package.