We are working with a multi-office New Zealand national firm well known for its work in the energy and electricity sectors, as well as their considerable expertise in major urban development and infrastructure projects.
The firm’s ranked Planning team specialises in major re-zoning proposals (i.e. industrial, rural or open space land re-zoning to high intensity business or residential use) and in the consenting of major vertical developments (commercial, retirement, residential, hotel) and infrastructure projects. The team also regularly participates in public consultation processes (plan changes, submissions on bills etc) for clients and, working alongside the property team, undertakes large commercial due diligence and plan review work for potential acquisitions.
Due to steady and growing client demand for their services, the Planning team are looking for at least one additional Associate or Senior Associate Planning lawyer.
The New Zealand planning and environmental space is primarily regulated under New Zealand’s Resource Management Act and various special legislation; however replacement legislation is expected to later this year. The new regime will likely come into force over a 5-10 year period, and the firm has identified that this offers a great opportunity for a UK qualified lawyer to transition to a new regime and join a successful and growing team to work alongside some of New Zealand’s best lawyers on some of the most exciting developments in NZ. Once trained in NZ law, you would have the opportunity to appear in Council and Environment Court proceedings.
In order to be considered for this superb opportunity, you will have:
- Qualification as a solicitor in a common law jurisdiction (most likely England & Wales or Australia) though applicants from other jurisdictions with appropriate experience will be considered also);
- Gained at least 5 and up to 12 years’ experience (which may include your training contract, if there is one in your jurisdiction) in Planning and Environmental law, most likely from a well-regarded firm in your current jurisdiction;
- A willingness to learn and ability to work hard, along with a common sense, down-to-earth approach;
- First rate drafting skills;
- Commerciality and the aptitude to work in a sometimes fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment; and
- The ability to deal with clients and colleagues in a relaxed and confident manner.
Successful applicants will be rewarded with a top of the market salary, sponsorship, and assistance with relocation to New Zealand for the applicant and their family. This is a once in a career opportunity to relocate with family to NZ and be trained as a key part of a leading team as new law develops.