Cyber liability is among the most complex risks challenging companies today. Our client is recognised as a market leader in advising their corporate and insurer clients on managing the consequences of domestic and international cyber incidents and data breaches, managing the full lifecycle of cyber risks for clients and responding appropriately.
Their cyber practice and the work they undertake is global. The team works on matters which are fast-moving, and dynamic. They often involve working with international clients, leading cyber market experts, law enforcement and government bodies, well-known threat groups and cutting-edge technologies. The group has recently been involved in responding to global breaches for household name technology companies, £multi-million ransomware events for retailers, cross-border incidents for financial services companies requiring the input of dozens of regulators, and handling group litigation defence work following breaches for a number of clients.
The market’s appetite for the Group’s specialist expertise is growing rapidly, which means the team is now looking to recruit an additional Senior Associate in London.
This opportunity may suit you if you are:
- Passionate about the Cyber practice area, but working at a firm where you’re less able to focus in the area (at our client you’ll be able to truly dedicate yourself to Cyber-related work).
- Working for a firm where you have a good diet of breach response work, but where access to high quality work is difficult because of a “logjam” at Senior Associate level; (our client’s cyber practice provides more high-quality, varied work than they can currently service).
- Having moved to a smaller team, find yourself behind an established partnership in a team which isn’t growing at a rate that will enable your career to progress; (our client’s team is growing significantly, medium-term partnership is a distinct possibility for those so inclined).
- In this role, you will work with Partners advising clients on a wide range of cyber risk matters including on the readiness, respond-and-recover phases. You will work closely with the global cyber team on cross-jurisdictional incidents, dealing with data protection regulators, and coordinating EU wide regulatory investigations from the UK.
- Working on a range of data protection, technology and media litigation matters.
- Managing cyber security incidents including dealing with attackers, instructing IT forensics firms, engaging PR consultants, advising on notification obligations; managing regulatory investigations (ICO and FCA) and notifying and liaising with criminal authorities.
- Dealing with litigation connected to cyber matters including defending group litigation and representative actions following incidents; and managing other disputes which may arise.
- Advising on the application of GDPR (Article 3) on international breaches.
- Assisting with business development initiatives for the cyber practice, including developing corporate and cyber insurer client opportunities and relationships.
- Developing a strong personal reputation and further strengthening the firm’s profile in the cyber market.
- Building relationships with third parties including vendors, brokers and other key intermediaries.
- Supporting and leading various thought leadership and broader PR initiatives.
In order to be considered for this role, you will have:
- Strong academics and training from a recognised firm.
- Probably at least 5+ years’ relevant PQE (there will be opportunities for candidates at lower levels with suitable experience as well).
- Excellent technical legal skills including drafting and strategy management, as well as managing and prioritising a full and varied caseload.
- Strong litigation experience, ideally including some technology and/or media disputes experience.
- Previous cyber experience with a focus on breach response work.
- A real interest in technology and data issues, and the ability to take the initiative on all aspects of cyber work.
- Passion, drive, and determination.
This is a sensational role within a market-leading team at the cutting edge of this ever-growing area. A genuine career path will be available the successful candidate.