An international gas group is looking for a Compliance and Risk Lead to be responsible for ensuring that policies and procedures at the firm and the wider group (in Kenya and across multiple jurisdictions) comply with the regulatory, industry and ethical standards and requirements. The successful candidate will also ensure that the policies are communicated to and adopted by all employees within the group to maintain a safe and secure working environment for all employees.
- Developing, implementing, managing, and supporting a compliance & risk program and control systems for the group’s processes and policies in order to prevent/address violations of legal requirements, regulatory guidelines and internal policies while working on developing solutions (including anti-bribery, corruption and whistleblowing).
- Conducting induction training for new employees and regular refresher courses, together with regular audits to monitor and evaluate the efficiency of the compliance program and control systems as part of the risk management process.
- Investigating breaches and alleged breaches of policies and procedures, incidents and near-misses, as well as conduct root cause analysis and develop and implement necessary corrective actions to prevent any similar incidents.
- Developing and periodically review established processes and reporting as part of a system of continuous improvement to identify and address hidden risks, areas of vulnerability and non-conformity issues.
- Standardising processes to ensure identification, anticipation, mitigation, and control of risks to the business, thus maximising efficiency and effectiveness by formulating reports, policies and procedures.
- Establishing and maintaining excellent working relationships with governmental, international and industry regulatory bodies and associations in each of the geographies that the group companies operate.
- Monitoring developments in standards and regulations and improve group operating practices and processes to ensure compliance with best practice.
- Developing business risk awareness through establishing a program of continuous training across the organisation, working alongside the training, learning & development team.
- Working closely with the Business Development Manager to support the group’s operations expansion programme to ensure operations may commence in new geographies in a fully compliant manner, on time and to budget.
- Working closely across other departments (including legal, HR, operations, finance) to monitor compliance with and enforcement of legal requirements, standards, and regulations, and to detect potential gaps in how operations are conducted and mitigate any impact on these business operations.
- Business acumen partnered with a dedication to compliance with applicable laws, regulations and industry practices.
- Strong ability to advise and (where necessary) challenge leadership positions on actions or changes to be implemented, promoting compliance as a business priority.
- An analytical mind to “see through” the complexities of procedures and regulations to navigate a path to compliant operating practices.
- Familiarity with all phases of development and implementation of an effective regulatory compliance program.
- Confidence in explaining complex compliance and regulatory issues in a simple and clear manner to business team members and senior management.
- Strong track record of integrity and commitment to business standards, professional ethics, and values/principles.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili.