Our client is one of the most respected law firms in the world.
Their London Competition practice covers a variety of both contentious and non-contentious work across the competition and regulatory fields. Unusually, Associates in this position will be encouraged to maintain a broad caseload rather than overspecialising, especially at this early stage of your career. The workload is likely be about half merger control work and the other half a mixture of cartel investigations, abuse of dominance matters, state aid, public procurement, regulatory and other contentious matters. By not being tied to either contentious or non-contentious work streams, you will have the opportunity to become more closely involved in our clients’ broader business interests which can lead to a deeper understanding of their direction and commercial drivers, and thus forge stronger and more fruitful relationships over time.
As a Competition Associate, you can expect to be working with a number of partners in the group at any one time, which will give you the opportunity to build relationships across the whole team. Teams working on a project will vary depending on scale and complexity; you may find yourself operating as the single associate on a matter or working as part of a larger team. Because Competition associates regularly work alongside Corporate, Disputes Resolution, and Intellectual Property lawyers, you will have the opportunity to develop relationships outside of the immediate Competition group. Associates are encouraged to develop international experience too, and to that end, international secondment opportunities may be available at the appropriate time.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Advising on a range of competition law and commercial issues.
- Drafting, reviewing and amending the legal and commercial aspects of documentation.
As well as the technical aspects of the role, you will also:
- Develop professional relationships with clients.
- Support the wider team in developing business and raising the profile of the firm.
- Support partners’ work in an efficient and professional way.
- Manage/supervise the work of others including trainees.
To be considered for this prestigious opportunity, you will have:
- Very strong academics (ideally postgraduate from a leading international university) and a high level of intellectual rigour.
- Training and 0-4 years’ PQE gained from a Magic Circle, Silver Circle, or leading international law firm.
- Exceptional legal/commercial knowledge and drafting skills.
- The ability to draft, advise and negotiate in relation to complex transactions.
- Broad exposure across a range of high value transactions.
- The ability to work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment.
- Resilience under pressure and the ability to manage multiple deadlines.
- The ability to deal with clients in a relaxed and confident manner.
This position attracts excellent remuneration and is a stellar opportunity to grow your career with a top ranked, high profile team. For solicitors with appropriate equivalent common-law experience based abroad, an excellent sponsorship and relocation package will also be available.